ACT NOW – BEFORE JANUARY 31, 2017!
- Call or Email your Senators:
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121and ask for the office of your Senators
- Identify yourself as a constituent and the organization that you represent (if any)
- Find your Senator’s email address: https://www.congress.gov/members
Suggested email or phone call comments could include:
- FOR PEOPLE CONCERNED ABOUT CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES:
“I’m connecting with you to urge a NO vote on Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education. To date, she has not shown an understanding of and deep commitment to the educational success and rights of students with disabilities. My child/children with a disability deserve to have a qualified Secretary who is knowledgeable about educational best practices and committed to enforcing federal law, protecting against inequity and discrimination and assuring accountability for all students in all schools, regardless of setting.
[SHARE A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR CHILD/A CHILD WITH A DISABILITY AND WHY IDEA MATTERS TO YOU/THEM.]
The Senate needs to put the future of millions of children’s lives above partisan loyalty and vote NO on the confirmation of Betsy DeVos.”
- FOR PEOPLE CONCERNED ABOUT DEVOS’ POSITION ON SCHOOL VOUCHERS:
“Mrs. DeVos’ testimony indicated that she viewed vouchers as a solution for all families and that they could serve as a substitute for public education. She refused to commit to protect against discrimination in schools that accept children with vouchers. She did not seem to understand that some states require students to waive their rights under IDEA in order obtain access for vouchers to attend private schools. Vote NO on the confirmation of Betsy DeVos.”
- FOR PEOPLE CONCERNED ABOUT DEVOS’ EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCY:
“Mrs. DeVos never attended public schools, nor have her children. She has never taught school, served as a school administrator, and does not have any degrees in education or education policy. During her confirmation hearing she failed to demonstrate understanding of basic education terminology. She demonstrated a lack of understanding of states’ obligations to implement IDEA; in her testimony she stated that implementation of IDEA should be “left to the states.” However, she has been a strong advocate and a generous patron of the expansion of charter schools in Michigan. Many of those charters are among the worst performing schools in the state. Mrs. DeVos is unqualified to be Secretary of Education, so please vote NO on her confirmation.”
- Call Members of the Senate HELP Committee: Please also take 5 more minutes and call the members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (“HELP”). Find Senate HELP committee members at: http://www.help.senate.gov/about/members