Check out the links below for information and resources about trauma, toxic stress, their impact on children and the response of the pediatric, mental health and legal communities.
- Get Your Adverse Childhood Experiences Score: https://acestoohigh.com/got-your-ace-score/
- DC Department of Behavioral Health (DC BOH)
DC BOH Access Helpline: http://dbh.dc.gov/service/access-helpline
DC BOH Certified Community Based Service Providers: http://dbh.dc.gov/page/list-community-based-service-providers.
- Nadine Burke Harris, a pediatrician, talks about childhood trauma and how she addresses it in her pediatric practice:
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network:
Effects of Complex Trauma: http://www.nctsn.org/trauma-types/complex-trauma/effects-of-complex-trauma
Empirically Supported Treatments and Promising Practices: http://www.nctsn.org/resources/topics/treatments-that-work/promising-practices
- “How Childhood Trauma Could Be Mistaken for ADHD,” by Rebecca Ruiz, The Atlantic, July 7, 2014: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/07/how-childhood-trauma-could-be-mistaken-for-adhd/373328/
- “Girls Coping With Trauma Are Often Met With Harsh Discipline At School,” by Casey Quinlan, Think Progress, September 26, 2016: https://thinkprogress.org/girls-coping-with-trauma-are-often-met-with-harsh-discipline-at-school-ce0928dea4c8#.ml02e4brd
- Children’s Law Center, “Addressing Childhood Trauma in DC Schools,” June 2015: http://www.childrenslawcenter.org/sites/default/files/CLC%20–%20Addressing%20Childhood%20Trauma%20in%20DC%20Schools–June%202015.pdf